Thursday, September 17, 2009

What's Your Avatar?

Avatars aren't all that new. Most have never heard of them until recently but the word comes from Hindu mythology and refers to the incarnation of a god. We use the term now in reference to an icon that represents a specific internet user. It's like a graphic UserID. This is my brother-in-law's avatar. It's a simulated version of himself for others to identify him with.

I think most of us have some type avatar. We use that avatar to camouflage the real us. Success, luxury, style, and standard of living can be an avatar. There's nothing wrong with being known for things we do unless our identity is defined by them. When we define ourselves by things outside of us (our career, skills, accomplishments, salary, etc.) we begin to make those things the focus of our lives. In doing so, we end up in idolatry. It's not that big of a leap, actually. Rather than developing my relationship with Jesus, I focus on developing my standard of living or reputation among my peers. We worship those things. My avatar is the ministry. I find within me a desire for others to see me as successful and am tempted to portray myself that way. So my attention, passion and focus is taken off of Jesus and put on being successful in what I do and the way others perceive me.

But the truth is that my identity is found in Jesus. I'm valuable because God himself lives in me (I Corinthians 6:19). This is important because we often feel better/worse about ourselves because of good/poor performance and approval/disapproval from others. If I live my life this way, I miss the purpose for which I was created. I aim my life in the direction of the perception of those around me rather than the direction of God's voice in my heart.

The sad truth is that I am awfully focused on my avatars. It's good to provide for your family, to be a good coach, to drive a reliable vehicle and to have healthy relationships. However, it is idolatrous for me to care so much about these things that I leave God out. When I choose comfort over sacrifice, "quality" family time over worshiping with my family, vacation over missions, success over significance I mute God's voice. When God no longer has access to my heart, my avatar has become my god.

The solution is to recognize that I was created by God, for God's glory (Colossians 1:16). I will care more about who he created me to be and less about how others view me when my focus and source of satisfaction is in Him. It frees me to live unrestricted by the expectations of others and the accumulation of possessions. I'm finally set free to be me. No more avatars. Me, just as God intended all along.

No comments: